Our Mission Towards a Plastic-Free World
The Reason We Created a Plastic-Free Shop
To educate as many people as we can about single-use plastic and the harm it's doing to our planet.
To create a mainstream online space where it’s simple and affordable to buy plastic-free alternatives for all of your needs.
Mission & Goals
- To steer people away from disposable plastic in all of its forms
- To provide plastic-free alternatives to every product that poses a problem to our environment
- To only stock products that we personally recommend and have used ourselves
- To source our products from ethical suppliers and the majority from UK based businesses
- To educate and encourage people to buy sustainable products
- To use our social media to share our zero waste journey and the positive impact that plastic-free living has on our planet
- To write regular blogs and emails about our own experiences so that you can see our progress
- To always listen to what YOU want and try to make it happen
- To grow our range of vegan-friendly products so it makes up at least 90% of our stock
- To never take our world for granted
Why did we decide to open a plastic-free shop?
Disposable plastic poses a huge threat to nature, our health and environment. We’ve seen the destruction it causes to our wildlife, to our diet and to our waters. There’s not a day that goes by where you walk down the street and see an excessive amount of plastic wrappers. We're living in a throwaway culture and it's heartbreaking to see.
Many companies do not put the environment first when they are developing products and packaging because they’re trying to keep costs down and profits up. This cannot go on and it shouldn’t be the norm.
If we improve the UK then we will steadily improve other countries, too. The UK has a huge impact and impression on the rest of the world and it’s up to us to lead by example.
Our shop is just a small piece in the puzzle. There are many plastic-free shops all around the UK and the world, and every single one of them is an inspiration. There are people protesting in the streets, people filling eco-bricks, people trying to raise awareness of the plastic pollution emergency and so much more.
We opened a shop because we're not alone and many of us share the same vision. Our own individual experiences have led us to where we are today.
Are we perfect?
No we’re not. We’re striving for 100% plastic-free living, but it’s not always possible. We do as much as we can, but we always know we can do better. We’re constantly searching for more alternatives for everything we use in our households and then we can recommend it to you. This is a journey and we’ll keep striving for perfection.
What can you do to help?
The best that you can. It sounds cliche, but it’s the little changes that make a big difference. You do not have to live a 100% plastic-free life overnight. Here are a few small examples to get you started on reducing your disposable plastic usage:
- Introduce a weekly or fortnightly visit to a fresh fruit and vegetable market or green grocer
- Once you’ve used up your plastic shampoo bottle, swap it for a shampoo bar
- Get a bamboo toothbrush
- When you’re going to the supermarket, take reusable shopping bags, tupperware and produce bags
- Get some reusable facial rounds instead of face wipes
Where do we go from here?
The plastic-free movement has gained momentum over the last few years but we still have a long way to go. We understand that every household has different priorities and budgets, and we’re certainly not here to preach. We also know that as the world changes and events happen, such as a global pandemic, perspectives and priorities change.
We will keep growing Life Before Plastic, no matter what happens, and continue to encourage the UK and the world to leave single-use plastic behind.